Hogwarts Medieval
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hogwarts Medieval

The magic lives on! Step back in time (about 700 years, to be exact) and enter Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, only a few centuries after it was founded!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» The de Hattes Tourney -- 1352
Practice Makes Perfect? Icon_minitime2/20/2021, 05:59 by Kolby Parry

» School Shopping!
Practice Makes Perfect? Icon_minitime9/20/2020, 19:24 by Reyna Fendrel

» The First and The Last
Practice Makes Perfect? Icon_minitime6/20/2020, 23:30 by Arya Lanister

» A Templar Picnic
Practice Makes Perfect? Icon_minitime6/20/2020, 07:08 by Kolby Parry

» Detention: Letter Sorting
Practice Makes Perfect? Icon_minitime6/16/2020, 05:10 by Professor Harcourt

» Epoximise! (2nd Year)
Practice Makes Perfect? Icon_minitime5/4/2020, 12:00 by Professor Harcourt

» A Noble Rescue
Practice Makes Perfect? Icon_minitime5/4/2020, 11:42 by Professor Harcourt

» A Skurge Upon All (2nd Year)
Practice Makes Perfect? Icon_minitime9/8/2017, 23:42 by Mira Catrain

» Tea Leaves, Anyone?
Practice Makes Perfect? Icon_minitime6/27/2017, 02:20 by Petyr Martell

» Halloween Dance! (1351)
Practice Makes Perfect? Icon_minitime6/24/2017, 00:46 by Headmistress Ellington

*Magical Happenings*
~Summer Break~

~Wizard Festival~

~The Trial~

Top posting users this month
No user
Ratings!

Shadowplay Topsites

Practice Makes Perfect?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Arya Lanister
Gryffindor: Year 3
Arya Lanister

Practice Makes Perfect? Empty
PostSubject: Practice Makes Perfect?   Practice Makes Perfect? Icon_minitime5/19/2013, 13:23

Arya Lannister donned her riding uniform, a maroon and gold tunic with a black sash and breeches. Earlier that day, she had a rather mischievous fifth year boy teach her the unlocking spell for this very moment. She tiptoed over to the large chest near the changing rooms and brought out her wand.

"Alohomora," she whispered.

The lock clicked and she opened the chest. Inside were at least two score brooms, handles all freshly polished and twigs clipped. She looked around quickly to make sure the gamekeeper wasn't near, then grabbed a broom right off the top. Arry walked out onto the empty Quidditch Pitch and surveyed the sky. It was dusk, so she wouldn't have much time. But she had to do this.

"I will not be made a fool of in that class," she muttered to herself.

She had to fly, at least once, to get rid of her fears. Flying wasn't natural, it was scary, it was dangerous. But she was a witch now, and she had to try. Gripping the handle of her broom, she took a deep breath. But before she could hop on, she heard a gasp..
Back to top Go down
Professor Harcourt
Hufflepuff Head of House
Hufflepuff Head of House
Professor Harcourt

PostSubject: Re: Practice Makes Perfect?   Practice Makes Perfect? Icon_minitime5/19/2013, 15:03

Professor Harcourt was a bit shocked to find a student on the Quidditch Pitch. It was unusual for students to be out this late, fearing that they may get detention if they weren't in their dorms. So, Harcourt was very surprised to find Arya there. He gasped.

Surely the girl just wanted to practice. She's not doing anything wrong. Well, except breaking into the broom chest.Harcourt reasoned to himself. She's a good kid. She shouldn't go to Ellington's office.he thought, convincing himself not to turn her in. He smiled and approached the girl.

"Good evening Arya. Getting in a bit practicing?"he said,carrying his broom with him. Harcourt was sent by the teachers to fetch more supplies from Hogsmeade. But, that could wait. Helping a student was much more important. That was his job after all. To help student succeed in everything they did. Including flying.
Back to top Go down
Arya Lanister
Arya Lanister

PostSubject: Re: Practice Makes Perfect?   Practice Makes Perfect? Icon_minitime5/19/2013, 18:47

Arya cursed under her breath. She could have slapped herself. How could she be so stupid? If she was going to sneak onto the Quidditch Pitch, she should have done it at night; of course, it was just her luck that a teacher would catch her. She'd rather it have been Kolby Parry.

"Erm, Professor Harcourt," she stammered, trying to look brave and innocent at the same time. "I was only... um...I just didn't.."

She was feeling more foolish by the second. Finally something wonderful had happened to her; that letter from Hogwarts was a godsend. Arry finally had the chance to make something of herself, and now it was ruined. She'd be sent to Ellington for sure for this. Though, the professor seemed nothing but cheery...

"It's not what it looks like!" she exclaimed, then took a deep breath. "I just didn't want to make a fool of myself."
Back to top Go down
Professor Harcourt
Hufflepuff Head of House
Hufflepuff Head of House
Professor Harcourt

PostSubject: Re: Practice Makes Perfect?   Practice Makes Perfect? Icon_minitime5/20/2013, 18:40

Harcourt couldn't help but laugh. Poor girl. She's probably scared to death.he thought, rubbing her head.

"Don't worry Arya. I'm not gonna turn you into Ellington. I understand. Flying was very challenging for me too."he said, hopefully reassuring the girl.

"Can I help you with any techniques? The sloth grip roll? Or perhaps the woollongong shimmy is where you're having problems?"he asked, wanting to help the girl the best way he could.
Back to top Go down
Arya Lanister
Arya Lanister

PostSubject: Re: Practice Makes Perfect?   Practice Makes Perfect? Icon_minitime5/20/2013, 19:10

The professor may as well have been speaking gibberish. It’s all Greek to me, she thought with a huff. Sloth Grip Tuck, Roll, Woollolloll Simmy? Arya was beginning to think maybe this professor was just playing some sort of prank on her.

You’re just pulling one over on me, aren’t you?” she asked, narrowing her eyes. “I can’t even fly, let alone carry an animal with me…that Sloth Flip thing..

She wondered if she could really trust Harcourt. Would he actually help her fly? He was a bit eccentric, but didn’t strike her as dishonest..
Back to top Go down
Professor Harcourt
Hufflepuff Head of House
Hufflepuff Head of House
Professor Harcourt

PostSubject: Re: Practice Makes Perfect?   Practice Makes Perfect? Icon_minitime5/20/2013, 20:39

Harcourt smiled at the girl. Such a Gryffindor.he thought.

"No no Arya. I'm not playing a prank on you. I'm trying to help. I was just unaware that you didn't know technique terms."Harcourt said, mounting his broom. He got a few feet above her.

"The Sloth Grip Roll is basically where you hang upside down from your broom, gripping tightly with your hands and feet. We use this to avoid a Bludger."Harcourt said, flinging his body weight to the right so that he would flip upside down. He hung there for a second and then swung his body weight to the left, putting him right side up. He smiled at Arya.

"Whoa. Head rush. Anyways, your turn."he said, landing beside her.
Back to top Go down
Arya Lanister
Arya Lanister

PostSubject: Re: Practice Makes Perfect?   Practice Makes Perfect? Icon_minitime5/20/2013, 21:07

Professor Harcourt was a right old nutcase if he thought she could do that without crashing to the ground. She didn’t even know how to fly! With a loud sigh, she walked out onto the field. She may as well get it over with.

I just hope you know how to conjure a stretcher for me,” she commented, expecting the worst.

Arya threw a leg over her broom and mounted. She very lightly kicked up a few feet off the ground, to get the feel of it first. To her surprise, it felt….natural. With a grin, she kicked harder and went up to twenty feet above the ground, looking down on Harcourt.

Not so bad…” she said, deciding she’d better get on with it before she lost her courage and realized that if she made one wrong move she’d break her neck.

Taking a deep breath, Arry copied Harcourt’s move exactly. She came to a hault completely upside down, and smiled so wide it hurt, then came back upright.

That was brilliant!” she exclaimed, leaning forward and zooming a circle around the professor.
Back to top Go down
Professor Harcourt
Hufflepuff Head of House
Hufflepuff Head of House
Professor Harcourt

PostSubject: Re: Practice Makes Perfect?   Practice Makes Perfect? Icon_minitime5/20/2013, 21:23

"That's great Arya!"Harcourt encouraged. He got on his broom and joined her in the sky. He smiled as her and rubbed her head.

"Let's try the Woollongong Shimmy. It's a high-speed zigzagging movement intended to throw off opposing Chasers. Just try to follow me and see what I do."he said, zipping off towards the school. He went left, then right, then left, then upside down, then right, then left, and finally landed on the ground.

"Alright Arya. Your turn."he said, hovering next to her. She would be great on the Quidditch team. A real prodigy.
Back to top Go down
Arya Lanister
Arya Lanister

PostSubject: Re: Practice Makes Perfect?   Practice Makes Perfect? Icon_minitime5/20/2013, 21:59

So these were the techniques Renoir had asked about in class? Now Arya couldn't wait for her next flying lesson. There was no way any of those kids could make her feel like a fool, especially no Slytherin.

"Were you a Quidditch Player yourself, Professor?" she asked, genuinely curious.

Arya followed Harcourt's lead yet again, zigging and zagging and zogging and everything else possible. First right, then left, then down, then a sort of spin she hadn't quite meant to do; then when she realized how close to the ground she was, she pulled up quickly at nearly the last second and hovered in the air, facing the professor.

"How was that?"
Back to top Go down
Professor Harcourt
Hufflepuff Head of House
Hufflepuff Head of House
Professor Harcourt

PostSubject: Re: Practice Makes Perfect?   Practice Makes Perfect? Icon_minitime5/21/2013, 00:22

"That's great Arya! You're a natural!"Harcourt encouraged. She not only did the Woollongong Shimmy but also did the Wronski Feint. Incredible!he thought, meeting her in the air.

"I was but a long time ago. Renior is much better than me but I was the Hufflepuff Chaser. It was so much fun and I can assure you that I am going to recommend you for the Gryffindor team, Miss Arya."he said, tapping her nose.

"You not only did the Woollongong Shimmy but also a Wronski Feint! You're incredible Arya!"he told her.
Back to top Go down
Arya Lanister
Arya Lanister

PostSubject: Re: Practice Makes Perfect?   Practice Makes Perfect? Icon_minitime5/23/2013, 11:57

"Do you suppose I have a chance of making it?" Arya asked, when Harcourt mentioned the Gryffindor team.

To think, just ten minutes ago, Arya Lannister had been scared out of her mind at the thought of flying. She had been totally prepared to run the length of the grounds to Hogsmeade and catch the train home, all to avoid her flying lessons. Now, she was a natural and was going to be recommended for her house's Quidditch team.

"What position do you suppose I could play?" she asked him eagerly, after zooming a circle around the field. "What positions are there?"
Back to top Go down
Professor Harcourt
Hufflepuff Head of House
Hufflepuff Head of House
Professor Harcourt

PostSubject: Re: Practice Makes Perfect?   Practice Makes Perfect? Icon_minitime5/23/2013, 13:32

"Of course you have a chance! You're fantastic Arya." he said, landing on the ground. He smiled. She is very good.

"Well, a Quidditch team consists of 7 players. One Keeper, two Beaters, three Chasers, and one Seeker. The Keeper is in charge of blocking the Quaffle from entering one of the three goal posts. The Beaters are to keep the Bludgers away from their team mates. The Chasers control the Quaffle and try to score points in the opposing teams goal. And, the Seeker is in charge of catching the Snitch, which ends the game. I'm not sure what position you would get because the captain of the Gryffindor team decides that. But, I'll recommend you for Seeker." he explained to her. It was getting late. Almost curfew.

"Well, Arya, I'm off to Hogsmeade for some errands. Be good and get inside. It's almost curfew."he said, rubbing her head. "You did amazing. Keep up the good work."

And, with that, Professor Harcourt flew off into the night.
Back to top Go down
Arya Lanister
Arya Lanister

PostSubject: Re: Practice Makes Perfect?   Practice Makes Perfect? Icon_minitime5/23/2013, 18:04

Arya landed on the ground next to Professor Harcourt and listened attentively as he described each position in the game. If she really was a natural, and as good as he said she was, she would need to practice more and learn everything there was to know. Something told her Adelaine would have all the information she needed.

"Thanks so much, Professor," she grinned ear to ear. "For everything!"

She watched him fly off to Hogsmeade. Once he was out of sight, she flew around the pitch a few more times, imagining a Snitch (whatever that was) zooming around in the air. Once it was well past sunset, she strode back to the chest, stored the broom, and locked it again. Her next adventure: getting back to Gryffindor Tower by curfew.
Back to top Go down
Professor Harcourt
Hufflepuff Head of House
Hufflepuff Head of House
Professor Harcourt

PostSubject: Re: Practice Makes Perfect?   Practice Makes Perfect? Icon_minitime5/23/2013, 18:11

This thread is now closed. =)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Practice Makes Perfect?   Practice Makes Perfect? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Practice Makes Perfect?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hogwarts Medieval :: Hogwarts :: The Quidditch Pitch-
Jump to: